Saturday, June 14, 2008

Whirlwind of Emotions

So as Derrick is on his second last stage at Beauce today and I wish my sweetie the best, I hoping I can send him all my positive vibes today.
Today I feel on top of the world. I've kind of just went through what I could say a whirlwind of emotions. From 3 weeks ago at Leelanau feeling like I could climb through any body any day, to crashing at the world cup, getting the flu and feeling like I couldn't even push out negative 20 watts if I tried. I literally and as well as physically and mentally cracked last Friday. Then went on to somehow winning an O-cup race last weekend, not sure how as my power files where pretty pathetic. As much as I wanted to travel up to Beauce and watch Derrick race, I have taken this week as down time and gotten myself back on track better then ever.
Oh what a week has done for me. I decided to go and get a bike fit from Richard Coburn,
founder and president of Ace Custom Cycles in Ottawa.
All I can say is that everything happens for a reason and by no way was I ever going to let and trust anyone to drastically change my position 3 weeks ago when my power has been increasing all year. I guess I had to get the flu, hit rock bottom and crack for me to let someone touch my position. Honestly this was the best thing I have every paid for in cycling related world besides my coaching from the Peak Centre. So Richard drastically moved my cleats forward and also raised my seat by 2 cms. Needless to say the quad pain that I usually feel riding has totally gone away. I thought all this was normal and part of training but I guess I was wrong. It's been 3 days now, no pains anywhere, I did a pretty hard workout yesterday and somehow squeezed a few extra watts out. Today was my first ride outside on the new position and I had a lot of fun going out with some of The Cyclery boys for an easy spin in the park. This is kind of one of my favorite things to do, I haven't had a lot of opportunities like this, this year because of all the racing I have been doing and it was fun just to go easy and chat with the local guys. I can always get new ideas off of them and just pick there brains a bit about bike racing, training and stuff. Oh yeah, the new position outside if your wondering, translated to more power and less energy. Even though the ride was pretty easy you do still have to climb through the park and I ended up riding 80k with some extra km's I added at the end by myself. Sitting here right now I don't even feel like I've ridden yet today. It's pretty crazing, I don't think I myself could of every raised my seat that much and trusted it. Richard did a great job and I have a report on paper to help me out anytime I need to switch bikes again. He also will take a look at things in a month to see how I am progressing with the new fit. I guess if I can, the seat could still go a little higher.
As I kind of got my game face back, I am still taking this weekend off from racing. Coaches orders. I've raced every weekend since April and sometimes twice in one weekend, away might do me wonders. Just going with the flow and happy that I'm positive Natasha again and not negative. As much as I want to surprise Derrick and see him ride his last stage, I guess it is best that I don't sit and drive in car this weekend at all. So I wish him luck, love and all my positive energy. He ended up 18th yesterday and I can feel an even better result coming today or tomorrow!
NCE

No comments: