Saturday, June 14, 2008

Beauce stage 5

Well, almost done....
Today the break went on the first lap, well the field was neutralized for the first lap, then it went.
I wasn't positioned to be able to get in it. I tried, but it was futile.
So I just rolled. The course is the same as Road Nationals will being in a few weeks. It's a 9.6 km loop, with a significant 1.5 km climb, today we did it 14 times, Nationals its 18 times. Ouch!
Thing is this course is all about positioning, there's lots of room to blow yourself up for nothing.
Symmetric rolled it to a tee and controlled everything. I tried to attack with 3km to go. I thought it wasn't an obvious move, since everyone is waiting for the hill, but Glen Chadwick jumped on my wheel and he is up there in the GC, so that was over. I still managed descent ascent and punched it for the line. It's kind of silly to be racing that hard for 20th or whatever, but it's still a race and often all that people see are the final results. It's not like you can write on your race resume "raced well, was in the lead group instill the end". Rather it's other way around, hide, be "unseen" and give it full gas at the end. It's the polar opposite of the way I used to race. I would be up front until the end, and all the guys using their heads would have a full deck of cards at the end. So that was that. A good warm up for Nationals and some gas left in the tank for tomorrow. I want to slap myself in the face for not getting in the early break, cause I knew it was going to happen, I just didn't think it would be that soon. Just goes to show you, that when the boys are there to race, they race.
Funny thing about the course, it seems like their is way more downhill than uphill, I know that's mathematically impossible, but it feels like you are always descending. Very bizarre.
So one more day...total racing time this week 22 hours on the bike...woh.
DSJ

No comments: