Monday, June 2, 2008

The Cross Curse

After I have done some reflecting on our recent racing, I have decided that Derrick and I have the cross curse. It seems like many of my friends/enemies, maybe I can call these people my friendemies. This is the crew that I raced with all cross season, that were my friends off the bike but my enemies during the race. It seems like all these people have the cross curse as well right now in their respective other sport (road or mountain). They have either had a bad crash or just haven't had a lot of luck during their races. The sad thing is I know how stupid strong most them are and they just can't get their luck to go right.
My race report for the world cup is super short. Pouring buckets of rain, started the race, went up the climb twice, was feeling good, at the front of the pack for the both climbs (in the top 10). Ina attacked on the top of the second climb and I saw everything clearly. Then the paced picked up and the next minute I know, Jeanie Longo, another rider and I are sliding down the back side of Mount Royal. My bike had left me about 150 metres up the road and I just kept sliding. Luckily that the road was pretty washed out as I came away pretty much ok. By the time I was up and the medic had seem me, I really wasn't ready to go and be psycho on the downhill and try and catch on. This is the World Cup, there was no way that I could get back on, and I was a little shaken up as well.
In a short 15k, my race was over and I didn't even have any reactions, nothing. Later that day I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I just told myself, that I train hard, I am ready and one day my luck will turn around and I will have the best race of my life. It was hard though, as my parents came and so did Derrick for the support. I felt like I let them down and also my teammates. I wanted to do well, my goals were set to come top 15 and the way I was climbing and how felt had indicated it was all in the cards. I really wanted to have to turn myself inside out on the 9th and 10th time up Mount Royal, but I never got a chance to see how I was going to hold up.
On a positive note, all my teammates raced really well. Sue finished amazingly in the top 35 and then Sophie, Trish and Julia all hung in there and almost got to the very end. Everyone had sent their goals high and accomplished them as well.
Yesterday Derrick and I went for a great ride in the park. 110 km of hills and Derrick pushing the pace here and there. I kind of didn't even want to ride at first. In the end, I finally got him at the sign sprint. I actually scared him as we were going over 65 k an hour on a flat and he jumped and I stayed on his wheel. I made some noise to try and come around him and it freaked him out and then I got the sprint. Considering I didn't even want to ride yesterday and was really bummed out, the ride ended up being a blessing in disguise. In turn I think the crash might of been a blessing in disguise as well. As now I am fighting the flu off this morning. Even though I didn't show it, I think the emotions were up and down the last few days, and I didn't feel quite 100%, but didn't want to admit this. I was even considering trying to get on a team to start the Montreal stage race that starts today. So luckily I didn't and now I have some time to recover, rebuild and wait for my luck to turn around. Hey if it doesn't, cross season is only 3 and a bit months away!
NCE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cheer up!
Went to a 100miler this past weekend (may 31st) and Floyd Landis crashed big time! The bridges were wet and slick! The bridges were on the downhill. Gravity is not your friend when downhill and slick.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb/?id=2008/may08/mohican100_08