Monday, June 9, 2008

Elliott and ST John win in Milford


Hey,
first off congrats to Haily and Peter, for tying the knot in Burlington Saturday night.
We travelled to Burlington on Saturday for a beautiful wedding at the Patella Mansion on Lake Ontario. I was a groomsmen and with exception of sweating profusely in my tux, it was the most fun I've had off the bike in a long time.

I felt like a loser for sticking to my sober self throughout the day, since we had to race Sunday and I'm starting The Tour de Beauce tomorrow morning. But we manged to repeat the double,
with Tasha and both winning the O cup yesterday in Milford.

The start of the season I felt like I was riding in a continual headwind. I felt like no matter what way I went, or what we did, on the bike or in life, it was just hard. A few tactical mistakes, a little mechanical mishaps, a few crashes and being hit by a car, it was just one thing after another. There were a couple times I wanted to pitch all the carbon, tubulars and technology in the river and just get an old steel bike with thick tires and heavy rims that I wouldn't have to fix.

But ever since Tasha got the news about coming 3rd in the QOM at Leelanau, I feel like there is somewhat of a tail wind. Things are starting to fall into place, the work is paying off and we've gone through a rough patch. I wish /i could say that I stayed cool and was the voice of reason, but I lost it a few times, out of frustration. I would like to say that I stayed positive, but I'm not sure I did. Maybe that's why it took some time for things to roll around.

Oh yah...the race. Tasha's field was pretty minuscule, but sometimes those are the hardest races to win, so good on her for using her head and playing it out well and riding away with 8 km to go.
That's not say that she didn't attack her brains out, they just wouldn't let her go.

Jet Fuel on a whole rode a text book race. Sending one guy in every thing that got more than 10 feet up the rode. But the good thing is we deserved this one. We had a plan going in, we did ot of work, got 4 guys in the break and I sealed the deal with 30 km to go, I attacked and rolled through 30 painful km's rolling in with a pretty nice gap. Bryson just missed out on 2nd, coming 3rd and Ryan Attichison, who is a junior finished 5th, Pete in 6th. We smothered the podium, it was great.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I won't be trying any moves like that this week though. It's going to be a hard week, but I've got my plan and I think I can make it work.

Tour be Beauce here it is....

No comments: