Friday, December 5, 2008

Skids

I guess you can think whatever you want about that title. Maybe you think of skids of wood or palats. Maybe you think of the band Skid Row. Or maybe you just think of skid marks (not in your shorts) but the kind of skids you can make with your back tire. I'll get back to that.

Maybe I spend too much time in my car thinking. Today was no different. We're chugging down the Interstate to Rhode Island, Tasha's asleep and I'm listening to some old, old old, Bob Marley. It was disk 1 of the four disk set Songs of Freedom, which I bought about 10 years ago, and honestly it's the best 60 bucks you'll ever spend. Disk 1 is Bob before he had dreads young. It's some pretty funky stuff. But for whatever reason it just hit me. I know why I ride. It's about Freedom. Ok, I know Bob's chants are way deep talkin' bout Revolution, war, equality and such, but when I hear Bob, it just reminds me of a time when I was a lot more carefree, it reminds me when I first fell in love with the bike. Makin skid marks when I was 7 years old!

My friend Scott Gordon and I would make a line in our babysitters driveway and we would race to the line and throttle our BMX bikes pedals backwards and try to carry as much momentum as possible in our "Skid Mark Competition". He clearly had an advantage, cause not only was he much taller , but a year older. I remember the trick was to skid as far as you could with all the momentum you had then keep on shifting the rear end in a tail whip kind of motion to generate some more momentum to get the longest skid. You could always tell where you lost momentum though, cause the skid mark would deviate towards the side and look all snaky. Some times we'd get a little carried way and rip a skid on my Babysitters neighbour's lawn. He'd get pissed off and chase us around. So I guess this is when it all started. I may say I've only been racing for a few years, but this thing started a long time ago.

I think the funniest time was after I had just got my first BMX, a Tonka. My dad put it together after my parents bought it for me at Christmas. So I'm maybe like 6 years old or so, I'm not sure, but anyways I'm so proud of this cause the bike I had the year before had training wheels, so I'm ready to rip some skids once the snow was melting. Well we go out to the driveway, I go to pull the mother of all skids and the frigin handle bars come flying off the bike I get airborn and smash my face on the gravel driveway and worst of all my rubber boots go flying, maybe just one of them. I think Scott laughed so hard he pissed his pants. So you got Scotty full of pee, me crying my butt off full of blood and face full of stones and the neighbors wondering what the heck is happening....
Shoot that was funny. That's why I love riding my BIKE. BLOOD,SWEAT, TEARS and URINATION, EVRYTHING YOU NEED FOR A GOOD TIME!

So yah that was our trip down to RI, I'm sure Tasha was dreaming about...well I'm not sure what she dreams about, probably riding the computrainer or her SRM or something.

We pre rode the course, then went to Subway for a salads and had the guy warm up our our rice. We got a few looks as we were still in our kits and tasha had brown tall leather boots over her blue Cyclery thermal kit. THe guy at the Stop and Shop actually asked us if we were bicyclists or joggers. I said I was a balerina.

DSJ

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I know why I ride. It's about Freedom."

I'll agree to that!
Freedom to rely only on the human powered engine.
Freedom to not rely on some scuzzy crud.
Freedom to blast by miles and miles of traffic.

So many people loose site of why they even started riding.
I started to ride to haul my ass to work each day. Didn't see the point in sitting on a bus for hours on end. Didn't see the point in sitting in traffic for hours on end.
I did it to stay fit, to stay healthy, to have some freedom instead of dependency.
Freedom comes with a price.
Busted balls while biking in the snow! and the cold (yikes, it was cold out there today).
So far removed people are from it all now, push button like. Press a button to get out of the house. Press a button to get in the car. Press a button to get into work.
That's not freedom.

Freedom is sticking your ass on the bike and going. No dependency.
Just ride till your destination is achieved.

- liked your blurb on when you started to ride.
Just remember my first time. My dad chucked me on a bike at the age of around 4. Stuck me on the top of a hill and pushed me down it.
Feel down a hundred times. Then finally got the hang of it. Thanks to dads for pushing the limits!

I just remember this one other time when I was 10. Someone dared me to go down this hill we called "dead mans leap". It was a steep sucker with a jump at the end. So I said "oh yah, watch this I'll go down with one hand!" I took my CCM big 3 speed with the banana seat. Put one hand on the big bar at the back and went down with one hand!
Did I move! Hit the jump. Did a couple of circles in the air and landed on my arm. Busted it.
That sucked.
Good lesson learned. Use two hands.

Unknown said...

michaelkors outlet
ugg outlet
air jordan pas cher
michael kors outlet
beats by dre
ugg outlet
canada goose outlet
north face jackets
ugg boots clearance
nike running shoes
201711.17wengdongdong