Sunday, December 28, 2008

Diegem Super Prestige-Introducing John Derrick

Not sure if you've seen the results for the Diegem Super Prestige, but you'll notice a certain John Derrick from Canada...well that was me. Not only did they get the name wrong but also since John Derrick doesn't exist, he didn't get a call up. So I started from the back row.

So this round of the Super prestige is run at night in a town center and is mostly gravel cinder paths, pavements, back alleys and rock hard frozen rutted ground.
It was prety sweet as it was just Andre Sutton (Andy) and me going to this one as their was no chicks race. The rest of the crew stayed home and watched it on the tele. How cool is that.

Funny enough I actually had a descent start. Until some Italian dude was getting a little frisky and put me into the fence a little. No worries though, I lost a couple of spots, battled back and forth, then noticed Jonathan Page in front of me. I figured if I held on for as long as posible I would have a descent race. Well the "hangin on" got me in a fight with a tree. I showed that tree who was Boss...so then I was a little further back than I wanted, scrapped it out with a couple dudes for 35 th spot. Crazy that one guy put me into the barriers and took all skin off a knuckle. I was pissed so I throttled it a little and he was gone once I got around him.

So, I ended up 35th on the same lap as the winners, I would guess about 55-60 guys started the race, but they don't record the DNF's here. Not really the race of a life time but after 2 less than stellar races I just needed a respectable finish to get my head out of the gutter. Don't know if you've ever been in last place, but it's a little hard to deal with, especially after having a pretty good season in America.

Things may be coming together. Plus, now that I've got a couple fans here in Europe, my post race trainer cool down invovled taking pictures with kids and getting patts on the butt from wise Belgian dudes smoking pipes. Also we had a crew of 5 working for us today...three guys, two girls, super keen to help and it only cost 15 Euros. Don't think that you could find people at home to work for 4 hours for 3 dollars an hour. I would pay them more, but obviusly I'm not yet in the money, so for now they get my whitty jokes and sign language all of which they probably have absolutely no idea of what I'm talking about.

So does start the blitz of racing known as Christmas Cross...hopefully it is a sign that things will get better.

John Derrick

1 comment:

The Kid said...

John Derrick that is an interesting cap you are wearing in that picture. There is another guy from Canada racing in Belgium right now...Derrick something, I think he is pretty fast he beat some famous guy from Texas once. Good luck to both of you.