Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Azencross, December 30, 2008

Today was the last day I would be wearing the EMD Serono/Steven's colours as the team does not exist when I race my next race on Janurary 1st, 2009. I wanted one last chance to shine those colours, but my recovery from my flu bug has left me disappointed and doubting myself to say the least. I know, 6 days after having a bug, you shouldn't be that hard on yourself, but for some reason I am. I tried hard today and nothing seemed to happen for me. Bad start, left me fighting to get up through the largest women's field I have yet to see in a race here in Belgium. I took some risks in the first lap and crashed hard twice because of it. My legs still don't have their usual punch, but I pulled around a group of 12 girls to try and make up time. This wasn't working and I couldn't get away, so I decided to make it into a tactical fight to beat all the girls I was with at 2 laps to go. It was pretty hard fighting with my brain today that far back in the race and then having to lose more time around the corners sitting on 12 girls. I was thinking, "what the hell am I doing back here, I bet none of these girls have won any UCI races this year, let alone 7". At that point, I said to myself I better win this sprint and recovered and dusted them all at the end. So I guess the best thing about today was I succeeded with this at the end and using the last lap to make my way from 12 position in the group to 3rd in the last corner and then jumping by them all at the line.

Derrick's race went better, still having a bit of bad luck with his equipment failing, but I can feel that he is on his way up on the results sheets. He's getting more aggressive, making better choices on his eqiupment (he actually chose to use his aluminum bike over his carbon and aluminum wheels as the course was super frozen with hard ruts). He also ran the Shwable tires which were also a better tire to hook in the frozen sections, not like the grifos I used that slid out a few times.

Other than that not much to say about todays race, not great at the very least for me. The good news is I get to put on a brand new kit that's way closer to home for the next race. I can transform myself into anyone I want to be for the race on Thursday. The colours I will be shining aren't the team that I will ride for the '09 season on the road (Specialized) but our none other The Cyclery kit to keeps things in line until the end of cross season in February. I thinking of transforming into Wonder Women, as when I was 4 or 5 I got a Wonder Women comstume for Christmas and I ran around the house like I was the fastest little girl in the universe. Let's hope The Cyclery kit makes me the fastest cyclo cross racer in the universe!

NCE

No comments: