Friday, October 9, 2009

Nationals Preview...for Kyle Fry Guy

So we headed over to Argyle Parc to check out the course. It's similar to last year, but they removed one mountain bike section and added a few really cool Euro like trade marks.

A wicked Fly over, all steel grate..it's sounds like thunder rolling over it, that thing is a monster and it will suck the life out of ya in the middle of the race.

They have lots of tight turns, one that shoots you right out in front of the pit.
This course is similar the Schelde Cross in Belgium, which was the first Euro race we ever did.

They added a cool sand pit...it's mostly a run, but Tasha had strict instructions not to sand in her drive train tonight, unless she was going to clean it herself and we know that was not going to happen.

There's a lot more twists and turns and the steep run up is still steep and it's icy.

Lots of people standing around watching other people take the magic lines through sections. But in reality, the course can change so much in 24 hours after weather, erosion and racing...so no worries.

I never really ride well in warm up, usually I crash a few times and bobble alot. I'm not really the smoothest rider...not at all actually. But I get chop my way through and more than likely tomorrow will be no different. In the past I would stress about not having sections dailed in, but in training it's just kind of riding around and getting a few bursts of speed in the legs...nothing more. It usually takes me half a lap to get it, cause you just don't ride the same speed in warm up and what you did at 15 km/hr is not the same as 20 km/hr.

So yah, we messed around with tire pressure and stuff, tomorrow we'll bring the other tires and we'll take it from there. It's just not worth stressing bout, it will be last minute decisions, but nothing like a little pressure to force you into a decision.

I'm not sure what wheels will be best, we will know about 20 minutes before the race.

It's a good thing this sport teaches you to just go with flow, cause there are always obstacles to overcome, so to speak literally and figuratively.

For me it would have been nice to have the sun shinning and a dry course, but I don't want to be just a one trick monkey, so whatever happens I really have no control over. If the course was dry I would have a smile from ear to ear as it would have been a crit on grass, but I'm still smiling cause tomorrow maybe I win on circuit that on paper I shouldn't, but we don't race on paper..it may look like paper cause it's white, but it's called snow, of that I am pretty sure.


As for Tash, she has proven she can ride mud and on dry, so we'll see if she keeps impressing with the dynamic riding capabilities. After a little bit of drama this week though(none being self imposed) I definitely know she know has what it takes to be champion as she has proved to me that not only has she improved her ability to get over obstacles on any course, but she has really grown as an athlete and a person in the last year with her ability to overcome obstacles in her life. Where there was once self doubt I know she someone who uses positivity to overcome whatever awful situation is thrown at her and she rises above. So in my eyes, she is indeed already a champion and now possesses the mental fortitude to be crowned.

Other than that we got to see coach Dan and his wife, that was nice...someimpressive riding by K bomb and good to see all the competion like Mike and KD and Shawn,Aaron and also to see Kyle Fry...I like this kid, you got to love a kid that eats raw fish!.He is my favorite Northerner for sure.

DSJ

No comments: