Thursday, October 8, 2009

Edmonton Chill

Well we arrived in Edmonton and a very familiar face greeted us at the Airport. Well, sort of.
It was none other than one of Canada's best triathletes, and Beijing Olympic Team member Paul Tichelaar. Maybe I'm kind of naive, cause when I saw his name on the emails, I thought that's funny this guy has the same name as the guy from the Olympics. Well after he told me he was doing his swim in the morning and then he could get us on his lunch break....it started to make sense. Anyways, he is housesitting for his in laws and letting us stay in his apt in Edmonton, very cool. Nothing like Olympic memorabilia hanging on the wall to inspire. Cause the weather is frigid and I'm not totally siked to get outside in sub zero weather for a training ride, but it's just the way it is.

THe bikes are up and built, that must be a PB for me. I didn't really mind packing the bikes last night, as a pro it's just part of the job. If you can enjoy packing the bikes, changing cables, ect it becomes a lot more enjoyable. Cause in reality the racing is a very small percentage of time, don't get me wrong it is usually the best part of it, but obviously there is a lot of work that goes in to getting us from point A to B along with the stable of bikes and gear. Especially during Cross season, so much work, travel, but the the reward's are worth it.

Speaking of that, I should have the new Carbon prototype bike soon. But my "job" is train with it and really smack it around and pummel it...oh how fun that will be.

So that's where we are at. I know I didn't really say anything about the "injury" I incurred this week while I was taking a Bottom Bracket off...but I am healing well. In a nut shell, I was torquing down on something and the tool slipped and slammed somewhere very unpleasant that caused me to run around for a few minutes before the bleeding and bruising set in...it wasn't pleasant...it was pretty bad...but without going into too much detail it is better. If this weekend goes as planned, it may make for a good story over a pint. On the other hand if the weekend doesn't go that well it may make for an even better story over a pint. Either way it's gonna make for a funny story for whoever is at the dinner table Sunday night, the more people the better the story will be, trust me.

DSJ

No comments: