Friday, July 31, 2009

Back from France, bombs will make you scared but bats will make you dance

Greetings...
So Tasha is back from France...I'l let her tell you about her exploits, but it sounds like it was a pretty interesting trip. In Orly, on the way home home, apparently a bomb went off at the airport, then in the plane they hit some major turbulence and the planes nose went straight up, and caused people to scream and be sick and panic.

I picked Tasha up at the Dorval airport and I was so happy to see her that I left a few hours early, so I parked in economy and walked through half the parking lot to get there...then waited and waited. But a funny thing occured, I never really understood that airports were such a good place to make sociological observations. I could not get over how much joy and happiness was around the arrivals area as people were so excited to see their loved ones. I don't ever remember seeing so many happy faces in an airport. So, I walked upstairs to the departures area ans sure enough it was almost the complete opposite, people nasty, crabby, sulking, anxious, it was almost contagious. You would think it would be the opposite, people are all excited to leave and sad they are coming home, but this is not the case. All this to say, that it's good leave and go away and experience the world but it really allows you to just appreciate what you have when you come back.

Ok, nough SOC101. So the other night we are watching TV, well, Tash is sleeping on the couch and I'm doing Yoga poses, I sit to watch the finale of So you think you can dance and I see a bird in our living room...well no it's not a bird...it's a bat! I jump from my chair, yell, "bat, bat bat" trip over the lazy boy, and fall down trying to stay low to the ground so the bat does not get in my hair. Tash jumps, screams and comes upstairs. George had to go wrestle it outside. I have been having recurring thoughts about batman movies and every time I hear a noise I think there is a bat hiding upside down. Tash thinks I'm a big whimp. I told her I would have gone it to get the bat if I had a hockey helmet, catchers mit and tennis racket...I did this once before while I was in college dressed like this. Scary stuff those things have rabbies and stuff.

Other than that, Sears had the poor man's Espresso machine on sale so after about 20 hours of research and contemplation, I did it, I bought an espresso machine. Needless to say a couple days in and I did 2 five hour rides back to back, the first one I avg'd 39 km an hour for the first 100 km, and that was a loop...then I went super hard for the next bit and then insanely hard bits for the last hour...wow, that hurt. So my concerns this week have about how not to make a mess when transfering the coffee from the burr grinder to the espresso basket...lots of coffee on the floor. I think it's a a learning process. Also went through a bag of Kicking horse 454 in 7 days, by myself. In Cornwall there's not really much to do, so the cheap bugger that I am , I can justify spending a couple extra dollars on some good coffee since it is pretty high up there in there in the hierarchy of training...good coffee=good riding, so there it is. I'm not on the Robbie O Rancillio Espresso level yet...but everyone has to start somewhere. I even read an article about home roasting coffee, apparently you can do it pretty cheap. So look out for Dynamic Duo Brew, coffee darker than the tan on my legs...
That was funny.
Derrick

1 comment:

Jim said...

Derek,

Put the little coffee basket from the espresso machine into a coffee filter. Then, the excess goes into the filter. A lot fewer impurities than sweeping it off the floor.

'Cross is right 'round the corner, guys. Sept 26-27, USGP in Sun Prairie, at the dirt track.

http://wicycling.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=10

Your "guest room" is reserved for you...