Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend wrap up

Yeesh...I wish I would have some big introspective thoughts into what went through the engine room this weekend, but I think it is simple, it just wasn't there. Wether or not it was self imposed by a ridiculous amount of training during the week or some misFORTUNE, I really don't know. Funny that I went all year without getting a flat and then one in the uphill during the OBC race, then another on the way to the crit. Call me superstitious...but that was a strange coincidence, just like it just wasn't meant to be.
Yesterday was just painful, I didn't really enjoy the style of racing and I probably made matters worse by letting my ego get the best of me.
Good news was that my parents came from Cornwall and I hopped a ride back with them to C wall as something was just not right being back in O town.
It's a actually really funny to think that as a bike racer, I have so many idiosyncrasies, I'm surprised I don't carry a horseshoe and walk around throwing salt over my shoulder.
I'm not sure I've talked about this before, but when your going good, it's kind of like a drug...you win it feels great, you are the Boss. But when anything but winning happens you have lost and you are searching for that victory and you just wanna ride yourself into annihilation to get it again.
I guess that's why so few people ever understand the mind of an elite cyclist. Winning is the penultimate goal. In a lot of ways its good, that's why you eat salad intead of french fries and why you ride 6 hours instead of 2, to keep having success on bigger level. I think that the guys who are really successful though learn how to care enough enough about their performance to be mad and frustrated, but then get over it in order to rise up to the next challenge.
So today's training will consist of the follwing...mini put golf...swimming...Wii...and not talking to anyone older than 10 years old.
DSJ

2 comments:

attack attack attack said...

Derrick. Just keep on keep'in on mate!!

Anonymous said...

pe·nul·ti·mate (p-nlt-mt)
adj.
1. Next to last.
2. Linguistics Of or relating to the penult of a word: penultimate stress.
n.
The next to the last.
[From Latin paenultimus; see penult.]

dude, I think you mean "ultimate", not penultimate...