Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the happenings

I haven't been posting that much lately as the gypsy life has it's way of making time fly away. You would think that I would have all this spare time to just talk about what's going but it's not the case. Well maybe now, but lately it's been busy.

It's really nice to hear the positivity from the people in Ottawa in relation to the success RWR is having this year. It really goes to show what can happen when you put a good group of guys together and everyone has a role to play. I think would have to describe my role as some sort of wild animal with rabbies. Funny though how it has somehow given me an extra bit of confidence this year and I think it is pretty apparent. People have been asking what is different this year, and I'm not really sure, but I know that something is different. Not to be too philosophical, but my desire is different. It has taken a little while, but slowly after making the decision to ride full time, it is coming together bit by bit and things are astronomically different inside my heart. I find myself almost ripping the bar tape off sometimes when I ride. Like I watched David Miller try to go solo the other day and it inspired me to do the same thing in the crit, ok it was the tour of QC and not France, but an effort is an effort.

Even since Preston things have changed, funny enough. When I was off the front I just concentrated on thinking a few things, but this week I almost didn't think, I just shut something off, it's hard to explain, but I just did what I knew I had to do. Shit and Sunday the sprint was pretty close, I've never been at that level before....or maybe I have but just never really believed it. I don't really know what I'm trying to say. Today I wanted to do a ride before the the crit and I ended up riding 220km's today and still drilling it in the crit...it's crazy.

Funny how we always talk about athletes developing over the course of years, but the last 6 months for me have been huge and I'm no spring chicken. I guess alot of my philosophies of training have changed this year, not as scientific, no testing with lactate or numbers, I mean I look at the data but not more than five minutes, it just doesn't mean what I thought it meant.
The just go by feel approach a little more. But that being said, it is important to actually know what you are trying to feel and understand the demands of the particular racing you want to excel at. Aaron and I have had some good chats about training and that guy knows alot, he has an approach to training that may seem a little medieval, but it obviously works. I guess as athletes and coaches always looking for this magical bullet, but really I think we just make things alot more complicated than they really need to be. Seriously.

With Natasha in France I'm staying at Chateau Norm and Jane and au contraire to home, they are the ones cooking so it's pretty amazing...ok I sleep on an air mattress, but hey it's actually pretty comfy. Apparently Tasha is staying with a family in France and she always has their
dog slobbering on her, and also some air line Stewart was hitting on her on the way to France.
So far so good, at least they appreciate beautiful women in France.
DSJ

No comments: