Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Charevoix

Where to begin...well we added a new member to our team. Aurelie Passeron. H rode with Saunier Duval and in 2008 he did the Tour de France. He crashed out in stage 8 in a sprint. Now he rides with us...man o man. He came to Canada with a vision of forming a very special kind of of team. An organic, real, sustainable team that leads by example. A team that performs by eating well, living well, being well, where obviously it is important to win, but not at any cost. After all there are limits. This is what I have learned. He brings with him a whole bag of knowledge and know how been there done that, this is the way it really goes down. I'm sure Tasha is probably already annoyed as she thinks we have a bromance going cause I've been telling her all about his vision of cycling and his ideas. But hey, just when you think you know things, you end up learning so much more. There are things that make cycling here in Canada very beautiful. Especially around Quebec city, cycling is very pure. Maybe it's the fact that Louis is out there and he has a large influence on the culture of the sport, of healthy lifestyle. LG's employees are paid for an hour of work if they bike to work and I think Louis pays their breakfast at the caf. That's not bad eh?

Anyways, lets just say sometimes you need to remember why you do something. Inspiration comes in many different places and formes. As I nurse I support my friends view of cycling, I like the idea that people are doing the sport to be healthy, add years to their lives not take them away, look like they have a motor in their bikes, but not actually have one.

SO we had a good showing in Chrlevoix, I was able to get comfy on my TT bike and rode to a solid 4th place, which in previous years, my time would of been enough to win.

We messed up the crit a little and ended up with not a whole lot to show for it. But we played the cards right during the road race, we had so many cards to play, we executed an intellingent race plan to perfection and came away with the stage win and 1,2 in the GC. The way it shook out I ended up with a bit of a support role in the pack, which ended up being ok. We isolated the major threats on the GC and our team ended up on top. I know some people still really don't get it, but it is after all a team sport, not everyone is on the same page, but maybe one day they will understand.

So, Aurelien and myself, rode back from the race almost all the way to Quebec city...210km total, in the big ring...not to be too dramatic, but you can learn alot about yourself in that time.
Also you get to really wear in your chamois...gross! He tells me this is what it takes to do Paris-Nice...how the hell would he know...oh wait a minute he was 9th. After the ride he said "la ont a fait une bonne journee, la ont est costaux" Basically, that was a good ride now we can call ourselves studs.

Crazy French guy only eat one bannana! Then he got home and ate salad! I just about pissed my pants. Louis had us over for supper and ordered some Sushi...thank the lord...trying to be French is hard work!

Le D

No comments: