Monday, May 24, 2010

Not now chief...

Shaun, myelf and Hugo

Not sure if you've ever seen the you tube video for "my new haircut"

parental discretion advised...but when the Broski is in the zone he is in the zone.


I started to write a post in the morning, but it sucked. More whining about this and that, frustrated about circumstances, so I just had a glass of Powerthirst and got on with the day.


Listened to some Bob Marley, chilled, then blasted some Deadmau5 to get it going.


The team layed out the tactic for the day, seemed simple enough. Big field of 125 riders, the course had some element of technicality as there were a series of sweeping turns over roads that had abviously blown up with land mines at some point during the war. There was a sweet 600 meter climb that bit into the legs and some winding roads, then another big ring climb to complete the 15km laps through Hudson. The race was a good 145km, a little onger than the norm, but when you've got serious km's in the legs it's good. The course kind of reminded me of Niagra, but on a slighter escarpment(which was funny enough the first race I ever won as a cat 3).


Anyways race starts off full gas, break goes, Spidertech and RWR at the front to bring it back, Aaron Fillion goes across the gap on the hill (shockingly fast) I'm on it like butter on popcorn, cause Aaron is a freind of mine and although some guys don't give him the respect he deserves, I certainly do.


We hammer it out get almost our whole team in the front group, which is nuts. Get the gap to 90 seconds roll for an hour and a bit, then our team goes to the front strings it out, Shaun from My team attacks, two others follow, I hop on, get a free ride, we get to hill, Shaun goes"lets go" he pushes the pace up the hill, we drop the guys it's just the two of us....


Good and bad, good that's it's just the two of us, bad cause therre is 56km's left...I shut my my brain off...don't think abput the the outcome, think of the process. Ride hard up the hills, and harder everywhere else.

Now we are motoring, all of a sudden it just didn't feel that bad, it stopped hurting, I knew we were going fast, cause well my I bike was reading 47km/hr on the flats...hmmm that's pretty fast, I thought we must have a tailwind, but then it was reading above 43km/hr in a different direction and rarely did it drop below 40km/hr, even after the hill we were able to crank it up pretty fast by keeping it in the big ring.


So we hear the bell, one to go, we really crank it..give it everything cause we had no idea of gaps or anything happening behind. We decided thatI would take it since I was able to do a little bit more of the work, I cross the line smile...then hear "one to go" they made a mistake...pause...

you ever get that sinking feeling, like you just ran over your cat or something? I had some negative thoughts...I thought I can't do another lap at that speed, I just emptied the tank...I thought if we get caught I'm going to take my bike and throw it over cliff, I seriously felt aweful...then I rememebred a few things...one winning hurts, if it's too easy it sucks...two I wanted to win for Tasha, since she has had a shit time lately..three stop thinking, suck it up and just fricking ride.

So we rode one more and you know what I probably could have done one more if you told me I had too. It goes to show that you think your legs can or can't but really it's your mind that tells them and not vice versa, first you control your thoughts then your legs. Thinking is good to a certain point, but just be.

You know we put 2minutes into our teamates then 4 minutes into the field...holy shit.

Our team raced the perfect race, good job boys, I obviously owe them huge cause it was definetly something that stands out in terms of perfomances, think about it. We finished 1,2,3,4 and Aaron Fillion rounded out the 5th money spot.

Maybe the week up in Quebec city did me some goo, a little secret training. Also I would like to thank our manager Chritian Leduc, who does not try to control the team, but rather lets us play the cards, but is wise and when he does give imput it goes a long way.

"La pire chose que tu faire au velo, c'est de trop pensee, quand tu commence a te doubtee tu est fini mon homme."

Hats off to Shaun McCarty as well who rode like a champ, and after the luck we've had lately this one goes a long way for me. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, so we'll have to set him up.

DSJ

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great post DSJ!

Anonymous said...

Aaron is a freind of mine and although some guys don't give him the respect he deserves, I certainly do

--> that's just in ottawa!
Aaron is one hell of a rider.
So is Osmand Baker
Paul Datar,,,

lots of great riders. But, as ottawa is,, it puts down great talent.
Good ol government town mentality I guess.

These guys should receive respect. They work hard for it!