Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kerfuffle

I wasn't sure if this post should be called "Living in Stone Age-Cornwall style" or "Kerfuffle".

My parents use dial up Internet and don't have a long distance package so communication with the outside world has been challenging to say the least. It really makes you aware of how much we rely on technology, especially when you are severed so abruptly. I now know what my sisters new baby Boy Tray felt like when those Doc's cut his umbilical cord.

So no blogging, no surfing, no talking. Maybe it was a good thing cause I had so much work to do. Obviously when we got back from Wisconsin we wanted to go pick up our new bikes. But that turned into a few trips to Ottawa, and Steve was super busy so I had to build my new Carbon Team Stevens (Which is so so so sweet). But as my formal education is more anatomy and physiology than bike put together ology...it took me about 6 hours to put the new ride together. Ok, maybe more than 6, then I had to dial it in. But I put it together from scratch, cut the fork, pressed the head set race in, ect. So just when I thought I was pretty impressed with myself for doing a nice job, paying as much detail as possible, I picked up Natasha's , which was done by Steve P and I realized that although it was good...he can not be outdone. I thought for sure he would need my advice on installing the Octto tape, and trick bar plugs...for sure he would need my advice...no chance Lance Romance.

So as any bike racer would do, rode the bike for about 45 minutes and measured everything an Octtotrillion times and did the Madison on Sunday. I was paired up with Guy Lacroix and we were set for a show down! I had a horrible first lap as...well Euro excuse #1-"I had a massive week of training, but I expect to come to form soon" or excuse #2 I"I quickly realized that the bike was not exactly the same...also that the brakes..were tad loose...or non existent, which made for some precarious cornering". So we battled for top spot against Ryan Atkins and Greg "Zoolander" Zulliani. I just made that Zoolander part up, and Greg has been to my house and met our cat Armstrong so it's all good. Anyways I really started hitting it on the Second lap and so on.

Anyways it was a lot more fun than I expected since Ryan had a good 15-25 seconds on me at the start of the lap I would real him in through the lap and it really made me dig deep. Greg and Ryan held us off and I was unable to pull the time back in the last lap as there was so much traffic on the course and I almost took a few people out (sorry Josee) and decided that being the Madison champion was just not worth dying for or worse hurting another.

Tasha was paired up with Vicki T and Tasha felt the need to run 18 PSI the first lap and quickly found that it was insufficient. She felt awful as Ken had progressively increased her training overload to DangerDanger level and then I made sure to really finish the week off.

SO...we then rode we Casey Roth in the Parc and he just nudged me out in the final sign sprint...I'll blame that on the 46 and the cross bike...I told him he could never live it down if he let me pull for two hours and couldn't come around me while I was on my Cross bike.

Ok, enough about that. We are in Belleville getting ready to fly out later tonight to Nationals.

Have to make 3 stops in TO before we leave....what's the Kerfuffle about???

Well we were short two bike bags, so we had to go to Ottawa to get them off Glen Rendall..thanks buddy.

We had to fit 5 bikes and 4 bags, 2 people and one cat in our Mazda 3. Well 5+4-3-2+1=3 so I figured we could make it fit...haha. So I completely removed the back seats...and everything in the car that I could except for the spare. Then packed the bikes, bags, cats, people, gear in the car. Drove to Ottawa and got the bag from Glen's mom. But that was not before I forgot the address and the phone number on the desk at home...that went over really well with Tasha, who wasn't already stressed cause it took me 4 hours to pack the bikes. We get to Glens house and we get the bags, unpack the car, all over his front lawn. His mom was laughing and saying that the neighbors have seen Glen do this many times, so they would not be shocked. It was probably a blessing his mom was there, it prohibited me from displaing my multi-lingual venacular of adult oriented prophanities to Glen's Neighbors. THey would have for sure thought I was the brain behind Eddy Murphy, Chris Rock, "Greg and Gentillion" and Borat.

Lets just say I am not proud that we drove with a car that packed, as it was not the safest thing...but it's done.

Now all I have to do is go for a ride, pack them, change some tires , rebuild our bikes to ride, and be in Toronto by 5 pm...right.

Nationals...oh yah I almost forgot they are Saturday. I'll be...let me re phrase that Tasha will be updating the blog this week, we have a top 20 list that we wrote on the way back from WI on our 15 hour car ride, and I have a feature about the new bike so once we get a chance there will be loads of new stuff.

DSJ

2 comments:

The Kid said...

I can't believe you told everyone that I beat you. Now people are going to be asking me about the time I beat Lance Arms... er Derrick St. John for weeks, haha. Good luck at Nationals

Gregz said...

Zoolander? Well I am really really ridiculously good looking. Also in CX I can’t turn left (or right).

Madison Champ not worth dying for? Sounds like loser talk to me!

Good luck at Nationals