Friday, October 17, 2008

The funny thing about smoking crack....

So since Tasha and I have started off on our little adventure a few weeks ago, believe it or not we have not had a whole lot of down time. Funny thing is part of me thought it would be so great to have all this "time" to relax, catchup on things and blah blah blah. Not the case. Granted, we put together our calender and no one makes us do the races. No one forced us to travel to Michigan, WI and Vegas all before Nationals.

This was our choice. I have to say that it worked out well for me, as i have seem to found some form.(Funny how people say they have found form, like it was hiding in the closet like sweater they haven't worn for a while, when really it's not like that, it's just the by product of hard work, proper recovery and focus). But anyways, I wasn't really counting on a second National podium this year. Now that I'll be racing on a full time basis I expect a lot out of myself and the penultimate goal will be to win these events, otherwise I may as well just be happy with third and work 20 hours a week and not be broke and not live out of our parents homes.

The thing is since we've been here, in Cornwall, I've had more "work" doing bike stuff, gluing tires, changing bars, dialing in bikes, building my own new bike etc. My hands look like they 've been through a meat grinder since the tubular glue, solvents and such really do a number on them. i was thinking it's just kind of funny what I've traded in. I traded in a well paying job as a nurse, two actually, in which the work was mostly pretty pleasant, at Sandy Hill anyways and the pay pretty good, the hours pretty flexible for just as many hours of bike maintenance and double in car travel...not to mention the "increase" in training volume.

Funny thing is I don't think I've been this happy in a long time. Although I feel like this is harder, believe it or not, it just feels right. I know it's harder for Tasha is she is the organizer, she has the stress of making sure everything is "ok" and that we are not going to starve. She is like the glue that keeps us together. If you could see how hard she works at this...it's equally as impressive as her kick ass riding. As the Cross season is only a month old, she managed to win 4 races in the first 10 days and come out
leading the US National point series. I know she put a lot of pressure on herself to do well at Nationals and Vegas as those were important to her, but it just didn't happen. She gave me a chance to pull through.

Natasha and I are team, most teams have 5 people on them and somewhat of a budget. We have 2 people and no budget, all of our expenses have come out of our pocket. To this point over the last 30 days we have racked up the following:

4 US UCI wins
1 Bronze medal at Nationals
1 Bronze medal at Canadian UCI race
5th place in US race beside former World silver medalist
1st in North American UCI points as of 1st points release
1 ass kicking of Lance Armstrong at Cross Vegas
Over 200 UCI points
At least 35 photos on pedal/cycling news/can cyclist/velo mag
Natasha is even on the US GP website, as a favorite to win Kentucky....you can vote for her :
http://www.usgpcyclocross.com/

So to anyone who says that we have not produced any results...I ASK YOU ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK!~

DSJ

2 comments:

Unknown said...

frig man, yah gotta be working hard as horse!
If you pull out the wattage that you do, yah gotta work for it!
Can't be easy.
I seen some of the sacrifices that athletes make. Ain't easy.
Many people just go to work. Sit in a nice heated office all day. Have a crap. Eat then go home to eat.
Ain't easy training.
(even worse if you have to work and train... I typically do www.adventurerace.com around this time of year. Use to put in countless hours in the gatineaus (with all the damn traffic!). Putting in around 3000km in a month. Then trying to budget in work and family etc... ain't easy)

I can just imagine the amount of work required when getting to the level you folks are at.

Give it your best!

attack attack attack said...

Hey D and Natasha. Congrats on everything. Keep up the good work and kick some butt in Kentucky this weekend. TTYL L