Friday, October 31, 2008

Back in Mass

So sorry that the posts have been less than robust lately, the slow dial up is literally painful and I can only wait to check my email then I just loose it and can't even write a post. The other day even sat in the Econo Lodge parking lot and got high speed in the car...Tasha did the emails and I did nothing, just sat in the front seat looking really conspicuous.

So the drive down to Mass was interesting. It sounded easy...Tasha found a "short cut" that was 75 km shorter than any other route we had found on my mom's GPS. But first the border...we got stopped and pulled over. The guy asked us if we had anything that "would make him mad" Tasha guilty pleaded that she had a grapefruit...she knew it was wrong to bring Citrus into the US...she was going to eat it, but she just wasn't hungry. You should have seen the look in his face...a "grapefruit" he said...it was classic.

So anyway we get going, we see this sign that says "Ferry in 5km"...I asked Tasha about that..hummm "Jane(British GPS voice), didn't tell me about no Frigin Ferry"

We roll down to the Ferry and it's 20$...no way. That's not in our budget. You should know that if you got the letter asking for donations to the duo we stretch our money like it ain't funny. On the car ride here I sewed back together a pair of leg warmers that had about a foot long tear in them, and I had to put new laces in my famous white shoes, that were not so white, but I got out the good old shoes polish and polished em up so they look new. Anyways...where was I ? Oh yah 20 bucks for the Ferry, X nay on that.

So we recalculate the route and find away around the lake. Te nerve of them putting a Lake Between NY and Vermont...who knew. No kidding that way was 75 km shorter the GPS had us on the water. Tasha got mad at the GPS...well, no she got mad at "Jane"..."How could Jane do that to us", she says. I guess we are going to have to have the talk. You know the one. I'll have to break the news to her that "Jane" is not really a person. Oh it will not be a good day. Maybe I better wait till after the weekend.

We had a feast for dinner... 3.50$ subway chicken salad with smuggled contraband brown rice from home. Big Pimpin, we be making Jay-Z Jealous.

So We did a pre ride of the course and it's similar to last years. It should be good. Then I rode the heck out of the trainer in the hotel room. Why? Why would I do this before a race. Well cause I'm m-e-n-t-a-l. That's why. We race. We train. We drive. That's what we do. This journey is all about reaching the top. It's hard, but we love it. We race our brains out, we train our brains out. I hope you enjoy hearing about our love of the sport and the suffering along the way. Our journey is pure. There are no hidden agendas.

If you saw the letter from Peter Metuzels, asking for donations and you decide to help us out, just know that we will put your money to good use. Maybe your name will not be plastered over our Jerseys, but just know that we really appreciate it.

If you didn't get the letter and want to help us out, Tasha set up a pay pal acount, give us a shout and we'll point you in the right direction.

J Heins, we thank you for your help. Thank you for helping us with our dreams.

One last thing, I would like to publically apoligize for stepping on Tasha's toe and crushing it today in my MTB shoes....her poor toe, obviously an accident...but I'm sorry.

Used my man Nurse skills to put a bandaid on it and kissed it better.

Derrick

1 comment:

The Kid said...

Rip it up. I got Ken to help me set up my "training" a couple weeks ago so I am stating to understand how you feel. BTW i did Mooneys Bay last week, which went better than Kingston, and had a great time, still finished 10min back but had fun doing it and managed to make it to the finish this time. Stop by Peak if you are back in Ottawa. Good Luck