Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lance in Vegas

Ok, So I finally have a minute to write a descent post. Tasha and I went to ride the Vegas Cross course yesterday,it was about 92 degrees, and the organizers said Lance Armstrong was coming to race. For me, this is a big deal. Not to be too dramatic about things, but a few years ago, I too read "It's not about the bike", Lance's Auto Bio. This obviously inspired me to some degrees to get back into cycling, after having my accident mountain biking in which I broke 3 Vertebra.

After he retired I thought I'd never have a chance to race against him. So it's pretty cool to have things come back full circle. It may just be a rumour that he is coming, to drum up press and such, but we've heard it from a few different people. So if it's true, it's cool as it will make this race even more Vegas style.

Even though this race is going to be more of a spectacle than anything else,it's still a big deal, it's a C1 race and most likely the hardest race we will do until Europe. This race is kind of grass crit with a few obstacles, mind you there's going to be 100 guys, but it's hard to ride on the grass, let alone fly around at Mach 3.

No big secret I've been having a little trouble with my starts, wrong gear, tech issues, bad luck, ect. But yesterday we spent an hour going through my start picking it apart and noticed one small issue I was having, so I'll be trying a slightly modified start tonight and we'll see.
It may be just an issue of don't do what other people do, just do what woks for you.

Ok, so I'll try to take some pics, but I'll most likely get way too excited and forget.

DSJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanta see Lance out there!
Met up with Floyd at a couple of mtb 100 milers last year and this year...

Floyd DNF'd at the M100 in Ohio though.
http://www.usmtb100.com/08race2.html
It was a rather wet day and he went down hard on a bridge from what I was told.

Last year at the S100. Friggen great race!
http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/home/page_home.htm

We managed (the gf and I) to have a good chat with his parents! Mennonites to the nth degree!
You would never suspect Floyd to ever take up racing from where he came from!

Anyhow, it was kind of cool.

But, the most inspiring person I have ever met has to be Tinker.
Frig, that guy is like 47 years old has been racing for over 30 years and kicks ass!

(one tough mother humper of a race)

http://www.adventurerace.com/docs/06-results/general_results.pdf
6th place he came in back in 2006
and
5th place in 2007
http://www.adventurerace.com/docs/07-results/general_results.pdf

He's a friggen muscle fiber!

There's a lot of inspiring people out there.

Right now, my heart goes out to jamie whitmore though...
http://www.jamiewhitmore.com/

she's one hell of an athlete (Xterra races), but has been hit hard by cancer for a second time. Not good. All her life long dreams gone in a flash! Everything pretty much.
God god, I never ever wish anything as such on anyone.
I hope she recovers.
Good to see Lance has beat that horrible disease.
Good on him for raising awareness.