Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend at home

So we finally had a nice relaxing week/end a home. Ahhhh.
It worked out kind of well this week. I wanted to go work a couple shifts, but no one needed me this week. So instead of resting and taking it easy, I just set out to do a couple good rides. It worked out perfect since Ken hadn't sent me the training for this cycle yet.

Our training is pretty solid, scientific, regimented and precise. So my break in training was to allow myself to do as km's as I felt like in 5 days. I know, most people would say take some time off the bike at this point. But as we are all different, my body was telling me it just wanted to ride. So that's what I did, took two days off after Superweek and then rode 65 km, then 117km, I was feeling pretty good, so I rode 160 on Friday, followed it up with 135 on Sat and then polished it off with 190 km yesterday. Hahaha. Man that was so fun. The crazy thing is I felt great 5 hours into ride and felt mint at the 6 hour mark. I'm not even really sure I understand why I felt so good. But sometimes I think it's just good to go out and ride. It's not like I'm going to break away from our retentive use of power thresholds, computrainers and wattage "wuss meters", but in my mind an unstructured week of over indulgence was the perfect cure to make the next chunk of racing and training all make sense.

To tell you the truth, I had noticed one problem with my preparation for longer road races, ie anything that was 180 km. I won't go into details as no one really cares, but I think a couple little tweaks here and there will pay dividends in the weeks to follow. After all alot of people think that the season is over...umm it's not even August yet. There are still a couple key races left, and as I said, a few changes here and there and I think I'm going to pull off the ride I've been waiting for.

I've had some good rides this year, but just not a perfect day. There has been bits and pieces, but it just never all happens on the same day. Not that the results page is the be all and end all of it, but it's sure nice to be on the first line.

Someone once told me "if you enjoy the journey and not just the destination, you'll never have spent a moment in vain". I love every aspect of this journey, from the work, the preparation in the Winter to the final bell lap and everything between. But as every journey has has a final destination it's just nice to know that your on the right track.

Oh yah, we also got to hang out with Little Ethan and play some Rock Band last night, Tasha is probably the worst guitar player this side of the Thames, and Ethan was killing it on medium. There's something pretty cool about a five year old rocking out to KISS, Weezer and the Police.
My sister is pregnant and she gave us her Breville Espresso machine cause she obviously can't have any. I've went to the bathroom about 9 times this morning and I'm going to work at noon.
I'm so hyper I'm probably going to annoy the people at Sandy Hill CHC so much that they'll think about how great it was not have me buzzing around the office like a squirrel collecting nuts before the Winter.
Man I love coffee. Especially when it's really strong. It makes me type really fast.
Just for the record Natasha is "organizing" her cross stuff. That's all I'm allowed to say.
DSJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bring on the long rides!
August, I hope, to get in 3000kms.
Hoping. July just brought 2300km and only 2 races for me (100miler and a road race) :(

season just starts for some.