Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tour de Gastown






40,000 fans, sure high quality field, 1.2km circuit with a 160 degree turn. Downtown VAncouver, crazy atmosphere, part of the NRC Crit series. I was in the fifth row and rode like mad to hold my spot and move up slowly. It was really fast and furious, I barely ever let up.
I had one moment of glory when I attacked off the front for half a lap and Chris Horner just looked at me thinking who is this guy? Legs felt ok, considering I just got off the plane.
Avoided multiple crashes, but it was actually a pretty safe race, except for the legs of a few barriers that were on curbs and could have caused some major damage to the deep dish.

Well apparently I DNF'd. Although this is not the case. Once again I was omitted from the results. I imagine i was 18-20h or so, judging by the people I went by at the end. When they called out the results for top 20, I just figured that I was 21st or something....oh well, I know I raced well. I guess this just gives me reason to race better and come top 10 tonight.

Tasha raced well. She had trouble moving up at the start and I think this cost her. She started to mix it up for a while, riding at the front, but she had trouble with one of the corners on cobbles. Before the race we were supposed to do a lap together when they announced first call to the line, when we finished she was in the last row. You live you learn. Gotta treat it like a cross race, get your spot and give it full gas from the start. She attacked with 4 laps to go and got caught so she finished about 22nd in the end from burning matches all night. She's still not 100% after getting hit with the Gastro Saturday and our travel here Tuesday. I think she'll get better as the week goes on.


DSJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks like a cool race!

Be sure to get out for a ride out there (outside of Vancouver).

friggen fantastic views (going north towards whistler)

and do the Grouse grind + Seymour.