Tuesday, August 17, 2010

MTL Que

Ok, so I'm a little late on this one, but by blogging this now, it gives me a little time to prepare myself for today's workout...which looks like its going to hurt more than that race.

So, we had 9 guys on the start, full squad. The plan was simple, guarantee the Victory. That means, even if you are in a break you don't fully commit until you are 110% sure that you win.We had 5 guys in the race capable of winning, so race it accordingly and it will workout.

We let a small break go, then some others followed it, with one of our guys in the mix, Joel.

The gap got up to 4minutes plus, but no one really got too worried as the wind was such that we were rolling at almost 40 km/hr with hardly any pressure on the pedals.

As the race is PRETTY LONG 250KM'S, THE "REAL" racing usually happens after about 200 km and lots of guys fall apart much before that. But as most races in Ont are Que are <150km,so>

The boys got together once at the front early on to put everyone in the gutter...maybe about 80km into the race, so if you were on the wrong side of the split before the 50 meters of gravel, it was because we had the gas open on the front...funny enough here is that exact moment...


Look at the faces...pain man, pain.


Photo courtesy of Antoine Becotte



The race wasn't nearly as hard as usual and was slow at times. I think everyone knew that we were the team to watch, so we did have to race a bit negative here and there. I'm not a big fan of this and there are times where I have to really police myself as I'm use to attacking alot and just rolling as hard as I can.


after about 150 km or so we did manage to put 3 of us into the break of 13 or so, it rolled fairly well, until about 50km to go and a young guy from ORA by IF attacked, JS covered it, with a Josh Dillon(Bike Reg) and for some reason, the others guys in the break didn't chase it. I didn't really want to tell people how they should racce, but basically with 2 of my guys in the move, Aurelien in the pack, JS up the road, they had to understand that we had no interest in chasing, but the race is long and guys were getting tiered and I think the last thing those guys wanted to do was give me a free ride to 20 km from the line. Which would have been perfect for me as I knew the last 20 km so well and had every intention on crushing them had they given me an armchair ride.



But that didn't happen, the guys sat up, we got caught, and then I had to go to work as Aurelien was back in the mix and I knew without a doubt that if we brought the pack 5km to the line we would win for sure.


This is the part that is hard for me to do a little. As I cover all the moves and where as beofre I take my chances and roll away with let's say 3 guys and take my odds, I play team ate and set it up so he can guarantee the win. Good in lots of ways as it assure the team a win, which is important.

I know the importance in what I did, as I had control over the race and dictated the outcome.


WE raced really well coming into the finale km's, we had guys go solo, then we sent Miguel and James up the road, but the hill was a little too much for them.

I did get a chance to attack formyself at the top of hill with about 6km to go...with funny enough is right around this photo...


Photo courtesy Antoine Becotte.


Even funnier, well sort of is the fact that I had done the last I don't know how many km's with a front flat, as when I attacked, I felt the front tubular come right off the rim and the rim smash the pavement...it felt like I broke the wheel..I thought the tire was going to come right off.

If you look at the photo you can see the front wheel is flat, in Comparison to Aurelien's wheel, a few guys back.


So I gave(Aurelien) him the opportunity to get to 3km without having to do too much, Will attacks, he follows, I make sure no one else goes, and voila that's how its done.

Maybe you won't read about that anywhere, cause there wasn't any real good coverage of the race, but that's how it was done.


We should have tried to put another guy in the top 5 and one in the top ten to make some more money...but we would have look like jackasses if we didn't win. But we actually had to annihilate the whole team for Aurelien to win like that, so good job boys! He wasn't the only one that deserved the win, although his was the only pic in the paper, the whole team rode great to secure this one for Louis.


We did bugger up one satiation as a lack of communication, but the outcome was great, so maybe it worked out for the better.


Other race notes...I heard that Glen Rendall, my coach was in the break along with Mike Nash, I thought that was awesome...


Justin "Fester" Hall our rookie...was scared stiff at the start and finished ok, even took a few pulls. Matteo Dal Cin did a nice move at the end to attack and had I not jumped on his wheel may have had the winning attack..sorry buddy...you are too dangerous to let go.

The Jet Fuel boys rode awesome, Kevin Hazzard finish 9th which I would say is a great result...nice job.

Will Goodfellow was rewarded as that guy has a really nice aggressive attacking style, somewhat like mine, good to see that he got himself a podium.

And most impressive I would like to give myself a huge shoutout for not messing with my speed sensor as 1km in the race, my wheel magnet was not picking up and although I was tempted to move the sensor with my finger...it brought back the time I did that I ended up in the hospital in Trois Rivires...see that's why experience pays off...

DSJ




No comments: