Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Struck by a car, podium places, press conferences and commercials

That about sums up the last week of my life. I did tweet a picture of my face after I was struck by a car on the way to a time trail. I never really likes TTing know I know why...Luckily I managaed to minimize the bodiliy damage, coming away with a busted up nose, a swollwn knee and the general feeling of well being hit by car. There has been a little ongoing pain and discomfort but after seeing what happened recently to multiple cyclists throughout Ontario and Quebec I am not going to whinbe too much about it, cause it could have been worse. Luckily my bike took alot of the impact and the side of my shoe, good thing I had my foot up at the top of the pedal stroke. THe driver was charged as she was clearly in the wrong, but she was remoresfull, it`s just one of those things...

So we raced on the weekend, I was definelty not 100%. But managed to ride ok, our team ended up winning, i squeaked out 3rd on the first day and 2nd overall on the weekend. But it was more out of circumstance than anything else.

Monday morniing we met the press for our team launch and press conference. I managed to give an absolutley horendous interview in french for CBC about car vs bike accidents, I hope no one saw it.

Then we were off to shoot a commercial for LG that will run during the Tour de France. Fortunately or unfortunately you may not see too much of me as the camera guys didn`t want a guy with scabs all over his face in fornt of the lense...who knew. Oh well on to the next chance to be famous.

Originally we were supposed ot be in Quebec till beauce, but circumstances have been complicated and we have to go back to Ontario to fill out insurance forms, get replacement costs of equipment and I need to have a little follow up to make sure I`m pedaling in circles. Shit, I was just having fun being a mini super star in Quebec, on tv, in the paper getting treated like a cchamp at the LG factory. It s a pretty sweet set up, they are even going to do a few custom alterations to our skin suits to make em as fast as possible.

So, on tap this weekend is some racing in MTL and we will head home and I will have to ask our manager if he wants me to do Charlevoix or Killington road race. I won Charlevoix last year, it s an awesome race, but after you win it, it`s like well what else could I do. You have to keep on challenging yourself, you know. If he tells me to do it, I`ll go but it would be fun for a new challenge...so hard to make decisions.

If there is a million spellling mistakes, I appologize this computer has a french windows version and well there you have it.
DSJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" THe driver was charged as she was clearly in the wrong, but she was remoresfull, it`s just one of those things"

-- hope you got some money out of her!

I got hit back in April. I was going straight and the driver turned left into me as the light turned green.
This guy (Ronald OConnel an xottawa cop) blamed me. The cops never charged him because he said he was in the intersection first. Yet, I was going straight.
My bike is trashed. His insurance depreciated my bike. I'm left with the costs ... sucks big time.

More of us have to stand up for our rights to be on the roads.

After 18 years of biking, I finally realize this. The bike community will typically water down bike incidents. I'm not sure why... We should be fighting for our rights to be on the roads. Safe roads. The bigger threats are the big metal cages out there. Who knows what sort of human being is behind the wheel.