Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sweedish Berries

So yesterdays secret training called for 5 hours steady aerobic ride and four hours on Sunday. Given that the weather was a little, well a lot nicer Saturday, I figured I'd get as much as I could in on Saturday and deal with it on Sunday.

So I did a quick 40 km before joining the Cornwall group ride, where I met up with Tasha and my new Protege Matt Despaties whom I brought over to the RWR side of the force. So group ride gets going, a little slow but it picked up nicely and made for a great way to get a couple hours in, and no group ride is complete without a couple sign sprints. No matter who you are it's always good to mix it up a little in the real world. I mean you can sprint your brains out in training, but doing against a group I think is great for the timing and a little bit closer to racing, well sort of.

So Tash and I brought Matt on our Kenyon Road where we lit it up a bit on the rolling hills, gravel and only got chased by one dog. I was really impressed with the kid, Matt, I'm glad that he's going to hook up with Nick Vipond for some coaching and join the RWR juniors, did I mention I was impressed with the 17 year old who is already 6 foot 2, before you know it he's going to be as tall as me. Nick already warned me not to totally rip his legs off after all we want him to progress nicely, but no worries, I made sure he didn't exceed his time and told him ease up here and there and sheltered him from the wind on what could have probably been a very long last 20 km home for him.

So it was still 15 degs outside so I rode on the nicely shoulder highway 2 to Lancaster and back after that. So, I had made a pit stop at 4 hours in to replenish with some chocolate milk which gave me the biggest brain freeze...and some water and a coke which I continued to sip on...
So everything was ok until I was about 10 km from home, so about 190 km into my ride when all of a sudden the pedals just weren't turning over as well and the over pass felt really high! Oh no, I know what is gong to happen, my bars felt like they were melting into ground and I knew there was a store about a km ahead. I was a really long km. So I walk into the store and see salvation in form of Sweedish Berries,mmmmm, I rip the pack open at the counter and dumped the contents into my mouth for a big mouthful of sweedish berrie goo. About 30 seconds later everything was alright and I made it home where my sister had cooked up a huge spaghetti meal for us.

We headed out for our ride this morning clearly under estimating the March rain, and we were soaked and frozen after about 20 minutes, so as much as I love being tough, I just couldn't take it after a huge couple weeks of training and don't think my body could deal with an extra stress today, so we resigned ourselves to ride the trainers to finish off the last few hours. Well Tasha finished the hours, I cut it short as I also have a session to do tomorrow.

I was trying to be Belgian tough, lovin the rain and misery, but it's definitely a balance between tough and stupid cause being tiered, cold and eating road grime from 4 inch puddles is probably the easiest way to make yourself sick this time of year and like I said, we were way under dressed, not to mention my quasi bonk yesterday.

Moral of the story? It's great to push yourself and punish your self, but you have to keep in mind that you break your body down so it can build itself up better and stronger, if you push it too hard and too long you just don't get to benefit from the damage you inflicted on yourself.
As much as you and your coach put together a program to prepare you to reach your goals, you have to listen to yourself, or at least the person beside you throwing helmets or watter bottles, hehe.

DSJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

gotta get your butt down to california!

http://www.socalcycling.com/Group%20Rides/grouprides.htm

lots of people heading down there this time of year...

Anonymous said...

a lot of pro cyclists getting hit by the economic downturn!
ekkks, I just checked out jeremiah bishop's site... guess he got the cut from Trek.

http://www.jeremiahbishop.com/

he's one kick ass rider!

oakleyses said...

canada goose, canada goose jackets, new balance shoes, ferragamo shoes, beats by dre, mont blanc, insanity workout, hollister clothing store, marc jacobs, soccer jerseys, air max, canada goose uk, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, valentino shoes, lululemon outlet, ugg australia, ugg, instyler, birkin bag, uggs outlet, north face outlet, ugg boots, reebok outlet, p90x, rolex watches, bottega veneta, canada goose, herve leger, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, babyliss pro, baseball bats, jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, celine handbags, north face jackets, ghd, iphone 6 cases, canada goose outlet, moncler, wedding dresses, moncler, canada goose, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys

Unknown said...

nike air max, nike free, louboutin pas cher, mulberry, nike roshe run, sac guess, lululemon, kate spade outlet, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, kate spade handbags, vans pas cher, burberry, nike air max, michael kors, sac longchamp, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, north face, coach purses, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, oakley pas cher, air force, hollister, michael kors, coach outlet, nike roshe, replica handbags, new balance pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, nike free run uk, lacoste pas cher, timberland, hogan, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, air max

Unknown said...

montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler, lancel, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, moncler, gucci, canada goose, links of london, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, barbour, canada goose, karen millen, vans, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, pandora charms, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora charms, ugg pas cher, ray ban, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, replica watches, converse outlet, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour jackets, moncler, swarovski crystal, hollister, moncler, ugg boots uk, marc jacobs, swarovski, louis vuitton, converse, doudoune canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, moncler
ninest123 16.03