Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chillin' in the Hamptons

When I say chillin, you think all maxin and relaxin'...but i'm just talkin about the degs. Burrr.

Before I start my blab. Thank you so much to all those who contributed to the Euro Cycling fund and gave their precious dollars to get us over to Europe. We just picked up the sum from Vince and we have been talking to some of them in the last few weeks with no idea they had donated to us. So I'm feeling like a jack ass, I was wondering why people were smiling at me so much, I just thought they noticed that I have been flossing more and using whitening toothpaste, I thought it was my smile....guess not, but seriously thank you so much. Tasha also keeps saying ahh, we saw him last week, now I feel like a big idiot as we didn't know. Not only was that funny, but this same person wrote on his cheque in the memo "xxx services". I didn't know cyclo cross was some times referred to as triple x.

So this weekend we are actually staying in a small place called Sag Harbor NY (long island), about 15 km away from the race venue. When race promoter Myles Romanow said the host housing was "a little off the beaten path" he wasn't kidding. Think you can find anything with the GPS? Wrong.
Shari and Mary, our hosts, live in a very spacious log cabin(well it's way too big to call a cabin) just off the "beaten path". We had to put the tires to the test and crawl our way up the off camber pebbled sand driveway that had me wishing we had an SUV. But it looks a lot worse than it is and as long as you drive really slow you're okay. Their quaint house is nestled in the woods along with 5 cats, 3 dogs and some Guinea Hens. Shari and Mary are adventure racers and there is even a 30 foot climbing rope in their living room, it's pretty cool. Although I'm sure these days my upper body strength or lack there of would leave even the cats laughing at me.

We made it through NYC without too much hassle and surprisingly and more importantly....Tasha and I are still engaged. Once again thank the lord for the Tom Tom.
Last year we drove down with Greg Reain and we decided to take the ferry in CT...I'll blame that on GR, cause the trip took 13 hours last year. This year we split it up in two drives, we stayed in Bethlem NY Thursday night and hit the final leg yesterday.

So the course is short, fast hard, bumpy. Basically it's gonna really hurt today. Hopefully we bring em some Revenge on Whitmores...cause last year we sucked, while Tasha not so much, she rode to the best of the capacity at that time, but me, I sucked. I sucked big time.

Just for the record if you hear that I've been listening to "Womanizer" by Brittany Spears...I don't know what to say. I'm sorry. Tasha makes me watch Gossip Girl on Mondays and it played in the show and she must have secretly played it on repeat while I was sleeping, cause it just keeps on beating in my head. I've tried to drown it out with Kanye West's new track Love Lockdown...which is pretty cool, but I just don't know what to say about about the Brittany thing. "Womanizer , Womanizer you're a womanizer"...haha now I've cast it upon you.

DSJ

No comments: