Wednesday, December 26, 2007

World Cup, Hofstade Belgium

So if you read my last post I said I would ride like my job depended on it. Guess what, I think I should fire myself. I have never wanted to quit a race so bad, I had a horrible start, got caught behind 2 crashes and took two bike changes all in the first lap....I have come to the conclusion that my ego has been completly shatered. Also I had a torn knee warmer which was falling down. Nothing like a few thousand people laughing at you thinking you suck. It was completely demoralizing. I think this tops the time at the Tour de Toona where I got litteraly thrown to the pack of the pack after trying to cross a gap to the break.
I guess if people are going to laugh at you after they pay 14 Euros to watch you race that's ok. Part of me wanted to get off my bike and start a hockey bench clearing brawl, but those days are behind me. I did what I could, on this day it was not enough, I just wasn't there.

But I'm not going to sit here and feel bad for myself. I knew this was going to be insanly hard. So I did this to myself. For the most part I try to keep positive, especially on the blog. Because I know a few people read this and it's important to stay positive and keep an even keel.
But there was definetly a few minutes of personal darkness after the race.

Also, if every other UCI race is like a regular season hockey game this is definetly the semi-finals, game 7 going into overtime. So after the race I thought, take a day off, rest, re-focus.
But forget that, I'll go race again tommorow and give it another shot. Sometimes when you have a bad race, you just got do another one to get it out of your head. Some may think that this is crazy, but sometimes you gotta be a little crazy.

Natasha had a great race, she ended up 26th in her first World Cup, about 4 minutes down to the winner. On this course that is nothing. Fellow housemate Wendy Simms finished 18th as well. Unfortunately, I didn't realy see any of the Womens race due to the preperation required in mine. But I'll watch on Friday when they race in Loenhout.

On a sad note, Barb Howe is currently in the Hospital recovering from Emergency surgery from a severed tendon in today's race. Our deepest thoughts go out to Barb, who has quickly became a good freind during our stay in Belgium. We wish her a speedy recovery.

4 comments:

jay2179 said...

hey, you guys are total heros - don't feel bad for a second, cause you are living the dream! 26th place for Natasha racing against the best in the world? that rocks so much you have no idea. Derrick gets passed by Sven Nys twice? that makes you a double stud, pal. keep it up we're chearing for you and want to see the pictures and hear all the stories when you get back.

sandyf said...

word. i suggest the brawl. I'm sure that many Belgies think they are tough, until you jersey them. Get a good hot meal in you, focus on tomorrow and crush it. You remember, you payed money to suffer. If you don't suffer to the max, you don't get your money's worth ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a newbie here, but I already want to bring all the benefits of me :) So, I want to share my experience with you..
9 days ago, accidentally, i had found the Mobile Phone TV...and I was so delighted with this application
that I decided to talk to you :)

I consider myself a bit of a road warrior. I am on and off jets and through airports at least twice,
usually 4 times a week. I can catch up on news, watch a Discovery program, check up on the stock market or just find something interesting.
The live guide works like cable at home and the connection speed is very good. All in ALL - I RATE A 5 Star program!

but I do not want to leave any links here, so you can email me fairyalexiss@gmail.com
and i will give you the site of this unusual program :)

(but please don't PM me, because it's so difficult to communicate in such kind of way)

so, I hope I was helpful to you)) see you in next posts ..

sincerely
your Alexis....

p.s. English is not my native language, so sorry for any mistakes :)

Unknown said...

nike air max, nike free, louboutin pas cher, mulberry, nike roshe run, sac guess, lululemon, kate spade outlet, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, kate spade handbags, vans pas cher, burberry, nike air max, michael kors, sac longchamp, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, north face, coach purses, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, oakley pas cher, air force, hollister, michael kors, coach outlet, nike roshe, replica handbags, new balance pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, nike free run uk, lacoste pas cher, timberland, hogan, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, air max