Sunday, September 20, 2009

To start off


Saturday

In my opinion the most important thing you can do before you start your season is get a good haircut. I would say it's probably more important than actual training. So I made sure to get a good haircut. You see, I cut my own hair. This started a few years ago when Natasha and I were working to race. I was trying to save as much money as possible so I had to do away with my wicked 30$ hair cuts/scalp massage...anyways, for the most part I usually do a good job, every now and then I mess it up a little but no worries, I good clipped on number 2 can fix almost any atrocity. So I got the clipper outs and gave myself the "serious athlete" look.

Then I got the scissors out and started chopping Trey's hair(my sister's baby who we were looking after while she was in TO), who just turned one. My sister thought if she didn't bring him to get his haircut until he was one it would be not as curly as his his brothers. Not sure where she heard this but anyways, we were baby sitting and she was in Toronto, so I cut his hair...don't worry I was nice enough to put it in a zip lock for my sister, just a little bit off the bangs, and a little off the sideburns(not really sure if babies have sideburns) but just a little, she probably won't even notice...
Sunday
SO no now it was time to race. A little warm up in race in Magog today. I like this race.
Tasha did her thing and couldn't quite catch the the 3 speedy junior men in her field, but put on a pretty good show of skill as the race organizer told her he thought she rode the sand better than anyone. We had a big week, going to QC getting the bikes, setting them up, and we were on the tail end of our prep phase so we have been a little cranky the last couple days. I was just hoping we didn't try to get too much done this week. There's not only training but everything that happens in life that creates different types of stress and those things have to be taken into account. It worked out ok, but it was no ideal. Hence this was a training race and a good way to make sure everything is set up for the next month.
So it was actually the first time Tash has won a jersey! all those wins, all those UCI races, road races, crits, lots of tropheys, but never a jersey, nice to see her get one, but I would say there a few more she has her eye on...

It was fun to be at the back of a pack as this was not a UCI race, they did the call up by QC championships and pre-reg order I think I was smack dab in the 4th row... SO it was good to come from the back, I got into the lead in put some time on the guys about half way through the lap and it was over. I pushed super hard for a few laps, but saw 187 on the Polar and there was a strange cramping in my quads so I eased off the gas and just pushed where I had to maintain a good gap, you never know I could have flatted, rolled a tub, you just never know...so it's good to have some time just in case. I think there was a pretty good battle behind me and Steve P got the best of Hugo Houle and Arousen, two LG road guys. Hugo is a power house, he won a lot of Mardi Lachine this year so 1 hour efforts are kind of his thing.

Kiernan Orange put in a stud ride for sure. Man that kid was on fire today! No kidding Tash couldn't catch him.

Best part about today....this is the first time Tash and I have won a race on the same day since Ontario crit champs, so it's been a long time coming...sounds kind of lame, but it's nice. I know it's just a smaller race, but winning just feels good, it's why we race.
DSJ

No comments: