Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rochester crit and RR

So the crit started at almost 9pm, it had rained, so it was wet. 12 corners per lap, only about 3 or so that were tight though. I didn't have a call up so the start was pretty hard. For once I think I was happy with the way I started, it took me three laps to get a descent spot, I kind of opend up a gap but was able to close it. The break went off pretty early and I still wasn't in place to get in it...shocker. It was really dark, it started raining and I thought I was going to die. But then I really started to have fun, it was so hard, so fast guys were blowing up, some were crashing. My tires were sliding out almost routinely through one corner. I just started to love it, it was nuts and so was I. I payed for my efforts in the final laps as the pace was ballistic and faded to hang on to the back of of was left of less than a third of the field.

RR
I figured the beak would go on the second climb.Wrong...after the neutral start, maybe about 8km in to the 180 km it was off. Man, I was disappointed, cause my endurance is phenomenal right now and I could have rolled all day, but so it goes.
The finishing circuits were kind of cool. Pete was trying to lead me out for the pack sprint and we were doing pretty well through the Karmess like finish, but we went tight in the final corner and I just missed the wheel of the lead train and settled for 10th from the field.

It was a weekend of near misses. A lot of good intentions good rides, but results and wallets empty. I was a little frustrated as I really thought I could be a player but it just wasn't so.

It was exactly a year ago that I had my big crash and I was just glad to walk away without stitches hold my flesh together. There were a couple of instances that I hit the breaks in the crit and the RR that most of the time I would just roll through, but the body remembers and does what it can to keep safe.

As much as I'm still pumped to race on the road this year, I have to start some of the Cross Technique if I want to really crush it this year. So I'm not sure how the legs will react to jumping around on the cross bike, but hopefully I can still manage a few good results. With my luck I bet I start raining for Cross and get the result of been waiting for on the road. Sometimes it just the way it goes, you take the pressure off yourself and you pull it off...or you end up really sucking hard and want to throw your bike in the River and have beavers make a damn out of it along with other pieces of useless riff raft.

It's such a good thing the people I work with are pretty understanding of everything, cause I walked into work Monday morn' and I looked like I spent the weekend with Cheech and Chong man, my eyes could have been cover by a piece of fishing line. Speaking of that, I gave notice that I will be away all fall/winter and they said no prob, we'll see you when you get back...got to love that.
DSJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love'n cheech and chong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gK-K01tzc