Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back Home in Ottawa

So Derrick and I made it back home safely on New Year's Eve. The flight was long, and there were lots of grumpy new years eve travellers. We weren't part of this, people were rushing through the airports with their nickers in a twist. We had a long relaxing layover in Heathrow and got to window shop at the overprised high fashion clothing. If only I could have tons of money, not work, and race my bike, is what I've been dreaming for the last couple days. Yeah, fat chance.
Spent New Years Day visiting the Ottawa Hospital to check out that ignored wrist. Trust it to me to have messed up my wrist in some unique way. I split the head of the radius in two, just a little chip off the end. Had to have a cast put on, and even worse, I have to come back next week to see if I need surgery as the bones are a little displaced. I guess that is why my hand looked like someone had blown air into a rubber glove, it also explains the bruising everywhere.
The funny thing is it doesn't really hurt, the even funnier thing is the ER docters face when I told him that. He said "do you need anything for pain, some drugs, a shot of morphine". I said, "no offense, I broke the thing 4 days ago, I'm long over the pain."
Now casted and a couple more days off before I go back to work. Yeah, back to wishing I didn't have to............maybe in a few years when I am podiuming in Europe and women are noticed in the world of cyclo-cross.
Nice to be home and not have freezing cold water or scolding hot water. To all those Europeans, there are such things as warm water. Also, did all the laundry again and my clothes are finally mudless.
We both do miss the racing, our house mates and the life in Belgium already. I'm already thinking about next years trip and planning it out.
Finally, Wendy if you are reading this, a big shout out to you on your first European podium. This is well deserved and I am sure the start of many more to come.
NCE

2 comments:

Wendy Simms said...

Damn straight I am reading your blog!! I am so bored without you guys you better blog every piss, toe stub and fart so I have something entertaining to read. Christ! I have been dieing to get a shout out to me, finally my day is complete. Tomorrow....the chocolate museum. Miss you guys. Get better. W.

Wendy Simms said...

PS Natasha looks like a giant in that photo!