Monday, October 18, 2010

2 days in Toronto

So back on this side of the border for some racing in one of our favorite venues in Toronto. We like this race, cause it's kind of home, well closer than most races, this time of year you get some good cross weather, not blistering hot, like 30 degs in Ohio, but not frigidly cold that as soon as your done you have to get out of dodge. It's great to chat with people that we don't get see very often and it's a pretty relaxed setting.

Maybe it was a little too relaxed the first day, as Natasha was a little behind the 8 ball. I'm not going to say that she didn't race well, she raced ok, but it's cross right, you put forth an ok performance you'll get an ok result. She finished 2nd on Saturday. She was forced into racing a different race, racing more defensively, almost scared. Saturday night she looked at me and said, "I'm not racing full out, this is gotta change".

Sunday, she put on her game face and she did her race, man, what a 360. To go from the nail, to the hammer in 24 hrs. I was fired up. I saw her ride in warm up and I knew that the fire was burning, she threw a match on it and I tried to poured the kerosene.
Jon Safka, cycling news photo

She rode awesome. I saw the lines, through the corners, on the off cambers, big steps through the sand, fluidity over the barrier and lots of pain in the pace...perfect.

For myself, Saturday ended up being a little bit of a cluster, crashing all over the place, having barrier tape fly across the course into my gears, almost taking out Alex in the first bike exchange, pushing so hard up the hill that I unclipped a pedal on a 20% gradient...but I struggled, fought back, found composure and put in a solid day.

Sunday was much better, it was a race. I lead most of the race and dictated the pace, put the attacks in and was relentless, I hammered over the hill through the drop off and bobbled, causing Davide to attack and could not match his acceleration after this. But I know it was a race, yah I went so hard that I forced my error, but eventually it would have been him who would have dabbed and I would have done a similar thing...

But it was 56 minutes of pain...today I know I raced when I woke up. Sometimes after a so so race on Sunday, I think I can't wait to better the performance next Saturday, today I thought, holly shit, it's gonna take me at least 48 hours to physically recover from this effort and probably 5 days to recover from the effort mentally, good news is that should work out just fine. This is what I wanted, this is what I got, there is no doubt in my body and mind that once I recover I am better and stronger than before.
Jon Safka, cycling news photo


So funny that on paper, 2nd place both days looks the same, but it's like the difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace, they look the same, but clearly not the same.