Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tour de Beauce, day 1 Lac Etchemin

Well day one is in the books. Few, cause it was tough.
The plan was, well we'd just try to put at least one in the break and roll with it.
I covered some moves, the boys covered some then I covered another and one more and that was it. A group of 10 or 11, we broke away at about 50 km into the 165km stage...
So that was 100 km off the front, and as always never easy here in Beauce.
It was a little bit of a cluster this am, as we were slightly unorganized, we only had 2 radios and I didn't get one and we never really sorted out the feed zone. Actually a pretty huge lack of communication, as we did have someone in the feed zone, but with water and no food...so...yah.
And as I didn't have a radio I dropped back to get a feed and suffered for 5km to get back on, which was totally lame as at this level you just can't waste any bullets.

Although I have to admit that I did what I said i wasn't going to do and got into the sprints and kom's. I popped with 5km to go, lost a little time and think I ended up 11th on the stage. But I think I got a time bonus for the sprint so top 10 in GC? I said I wasn't going for a GC, since that's just agonizing as you have to put good rides together all week which is super hard...but we'll see.

So did I say it was hard...well I guess that's no surprise and mixed in a little ill timing, excited sprints and I'm not totaly shocked that I popped at eh crunch time. But hey, c'est la vie. I'll have to figure out what the main focus will be for the week as being scatter brained here is not good, at all. I feel like I had 4 Red Bulls, although I have had none. I was counting on everyone being tiered from Philly and not chasing today, so I guess I was kind of right, they chased, hard, but didn't come back.

So here is the big question...will there be at least one photo where I look good in pink...time will tell. If you're interested Canadian Cyclist has updates during the race. I can't promise that I'll get in another break tomorrow, but hey you never know...Oh yah and I think I'm number 2 Canadian in GC...not bad for a man nurse?

In other news Tasha had a crasha today ...but she's ok, apparently some one went down in front of her and she could not avoid it...she chased forever, but at least she's really good at that!
She was hopping on the bus for dinner. It sounds like it is just her butt and legs, no face injury...few! She said her Cross foe Hanka K was all bloodied up in the face, ouch!
DSJ

1 comment:

attack attack attack said...

Awesome ride D. keep up the good work. Have a good beauce. Talk to ya Lyall. Keep your chin up Natasha. Finish the tour strong.