Wednesday, January 14, 2009

All that matters is how you finish

As Derrick had written, the last week and a half has been tough. Even coming into to it has been tough. Obviously my racing here hasn't been what I had hoped for. Yes the first race off the plane I was super happy about, but after that I didn't plan for. It sucked, I didn't get sick all cross season and what I did to myself travelling every weekend throughout North American and training hard the days in between, I pretty much should of been destined to get sick. But because of not working those months it just allowed me to stress my body a little extra in another way other than work and cope with it.

Then of course I get sick a week into being in Europe. I felt awesome the first week and then it totally left me when I got sick. I was pretty upset, and I tried to race when I felt better but it wasn't there, nothing was there and I thought I should just pack up and go home as I didn't make this trip to be finishing over 2 minutes back from the wins at the races. The picture above shows what I felt like doing while I was riding (basically putting a mask over my face). I thought I should just stay home to get stronger and not waste my time or money I didn't have. Yeah, I'm all for gaining experience but I'm also not made of money. If I can only afford so many trips to Europe for racing, I want to save it for the times when I am there to win and deserve to represent our country. As I'm sure you all know, cyclo-cross is not an Olympic sport and is totally self funded.


The good news is that with Derricks' help I snapped out of it this past week. For all of his efforts I have made him a super nice dinner every night for the last week or so. In return he is also spending a great deal of time on my bikes to make sure they are ready to give me 100% confidence. Derrick is also making me doing some visualizing each night of me racing to my full potential.


The first couple days beginning this last block of training did start off slow thought. But, I had two weeks to train, it did start to get better. Believe me the first few work outs were awful and my power was crap. But then I got the feedback of what I needed to tell me why the races weren't going well, cause my power had gone down a bit because of the illness. But my attitude with this was okay, I have 10 days to turn this around and get back to what I am used to seeing. Ken (coach) said everything would be okay, the power of a year just doesn't disappear all of a sudden. The 385 days spend giving it 110% just don't vanish. And guess what, sure enough everything is back with all my hard workouts under my belt this week and just recovery to the World Cup on Sunday after today.

That's kind of all what matters, it doesn't matter how my Europe racing started or was going, it just matters how it finishes. Most importantly, how it finishes on the day of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. Everything I have done over the last 13 months has been put into this final day. All the sweat, tears, pain and frustration has been for it and that's what I have to remember. This World Championships is the first one of many in the future to build on and I will leave it all out on the course to push the bar for the next one.

How are you going to finish, are you going to finish strong?


NCE

7 comments:

jay2179 said...

way to go guys! no matter what happens, we're still proud of ya.
{{{{{{{{{sending positive vibes}}}}}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
Hang tough cause you never know what the future holds.
You have this chance so take it.
Have fun, and ride baby ride !!

Anonymous said...

My advice (mystery guy)...focus on the process more and less on one single race....otherwise you'll hate bike racing pretty soon. I've seen it enough. That's friendly advice btw....just enjoy yourself everyday.

Anonymous said...

Most amazing people I have met:

http://margsrace.blogspot.com/

http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/2005/Louise_Kobin/index.html

JAMIE WHITMORE
http://www.xterraplanet.com/news/press_article.cfm?id=2331

all of them have faced extrodinary pain over the past couple of years. From Adrenal burn out, to racing some of the world's larges races, to cancer...

Some ups and downs. Manage the waves. Know when to break and when to go like hell...

all the best to you both over there.
Life time opportunity!

Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, michael kors, replica watches, longchamp, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, burberry, ray ban sunglasses, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin shoes, burberry outlet online, nike air max, replica watches, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, prada outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, nike free, tiffany and co, uggs on sale, louboutin outlet

Unknown said...

nike air max, nike free, louboutin pas cher, mulberry, nike roshe run, sac guess, lululemon, kate spade outlet, abercrombie and fitch, converse pas cher, kate spade handbags, vans pas cher, burberry, nike air max, michael kors, sac longchamp, ralph lauren uk, nike air max, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, north face, coach purses, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, oakley pas cher, air force, hollister, michael kors, coach outlet, nike roshe, replica handbags, new balance pas cher, tn pas cher, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, nike free run uk, lacoste pas cher, timberland, hogan, north face, michael kors, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, air max

Unknown said...

montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler, lancel, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, moncler, gucci, canada goose, links of london, moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, barbour, canada goose, karen millen, vans, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, pandora charms, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora charms, ugg pas cher, ray ban, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, replica watches, converse outlet, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour jackets, moncler, swarovski crystal, hollister, moncler, ugg boots uk, marc jacobs, swarovski, louis vuitton, converse, doudoune canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, moncler
ninest123 16.03