Sunday, May 4, 2008

Jiminy Peak,Race report


So pack the car, well not ours, Sue Schlatter 's Honda and off to MA. As I've just recently found out, after knowing Sue for a few years I've been mispronouncing her Swiss name which is indeed Schlatter, the l is before the t, I think I've been calling her Schattler...woops. Anyways, anytime Tash and I get to travel with "new" people it's always kind of fun, cause we can tell our stories and share our conspiracy theories about aspartame and MSG. No matter who we travel with I always tel them that Tash is kind of of an MSG/Aspartame Nazi. Seriously. She'll attribute every ailment known to man kind to food sweeteners and preservatives. Don't, under any circumstance ever, I mean ever let Tash see you with a can of "diet" pop...she will hold it against you in court...I wouldn't even be surprised if she sends an e-mail to film maker Micheal Moore asking him to write a movie called "MSG causes migraines...and if you don't think so you are wrong".

Oh yah...the race..men's race 150 km rolling course, freezing cold, rain 110 guys or so in the field. My tactic, I marked a couple of guys from big teams that were also there solo, Jelly Belly, KBS, and Slipstream, well no shit Sherlock, I guess so did everybody else.. Well, once again I was spoiled by my not so brilliant take on the tactic of the day. Move went at 35 km in..shit. Funny thing is in the car I'm shooting my big fat mouth off the Tash and Sue about what they should do, cause obviously my strategy has been working so far(not). So a little flustered I tried to get in the second move, but waited too long tried to cross the gap with a couple others, we almost had it, then one guy from Kenda opened a fatal gap on the climb and I couldn't dig deep enough into the suitcase to close the the group, ended up being in never never land with some guys who had blown up or weren't working that hard and got swallowed up by the pack.

Sue ended up winning the women's race and Tash came 4th, they were pretty happy with that, Tash timed her up sprint a little wrong and got nipped at the line , but still rode well. Thing that sucks is they didn't even have a podium for the women, they just gave them an envelop and a mug and said thanks for coming. Kinda reminded me of the OBC Grand Prix, huge turnout, like 800 people and then no even knows who won the premiere events...really weired.

I'm glad I have a long ass road race in my legs, it was almost a four hour ordeal. Next week is just over 4 hours, so I'll build from this into next week, all in some good preparation for May's premier event, the Tour of Leelanau a hard ass 170 km Road Race in Michigan.
Truth be told, I thought I would have been hitting some form by now...but the Gods of From must have good things planned for me, the longer I wait the better it will come. Ok, off my butt and must go destroy myself again today. Haha, I am a sick and twisted individual.
DSJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's f-n stupid that they don't have a podium for the women!
Same god damn f-n stupidity happens in the mountain biking world. I typically end up riding with the likes of Sue Haywood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Haywood
Louis Kobin
http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/2005/Louise_Kobin/index.html

and Marg Fedyna
http://www.slgphotography.com/home/slg/page_110_18/marg_fedyna.html

These people give it all they got. Marg just recovered from adrenal problems... puts every ounce of energy and money into racing. Sleeps, eats, jives racing every day.

The big payouts are to the males. The females only receive a small fraction.

Damn shame really. Back in the old boys times I guess...