Sunday, April 13, 2008

Let the Bike Games Begin

Hey Everyone,

So it's been awhile since I have done a post. I leave Derrick to this most days, as one, my writing skills aren't to par with his and two, I don't have as much time to waste as him! Just kidding on the last one, mainly because it's probably the opposite, as I constantly make him do my bike mechanics and he's also become my personal chef this year. I've kind of been eating so well and healthy that now if I have anything other than his cooking, my body reacts in some bizarre way like a skull crushing migraine headache.

What's new? Today was the first road race of the season. Well kind of, Almonte Roubaix is kind of like the Ottawa version of the Paris Roubaix classic. This year because of all the snow and the late thaw, it was a pretty different race than other years. They had to alter the route and it consisted of mainly dirt and sucking the life out of you sandy rolling hills. I got my new kit last week and was riding with the new team EMD Serono/Stevens. My team was there is full support as I was already told that this was my race to win being the cross rider of the team. So game on!

Race start, mass start of about 150 top men of the area and about 10 or so women. I positioned myself well through out the first 20km or so and then the race really started to pick up. As it picked up I got further and further towards the front knowing that the elastic band was going to snap soon. Sure enough it did and I think two of my teammates on the men's team were off the front and I was left in the chase group of about 10 guys or so. I was suffering like a dog but didn't want to get dropped, then all of a sudden we missed a turn on the course and we all were in panic mode and slammed on our breaks and turned around. Because of this, a group caught up to us and we were now 30 or so. I then realized I was the only women in the pack and knew the race was mine, all I had to do was suffer with these guys for the next 40 km or so. The pace picked up through the hills, then some guys went off the front to chase the two up the road. I was left in the main pack and feeling pretty awful, but was willing to suffer to the end. The paced picked up mainly because of my other half (Derrick) going to the front and pushing are groups pace. I hung in there as we dropped a few more riders off our group. Although, how much I was suffering is was really fun to be racing with these guys. There's not many times I can say that I was riding with my fiance in a race. I think he felt the same way as it was probably one of the only times he as actually really got to see how I race.

With about 12 km to go, Derrick attacked off what was left of our group and another rider followed him. The pace really started to go with the rest of the my group and with about 5km to go I did a little attack up a climb that later almost caused me to get dropped. Luckily I managed to find my way back on through a gravel corner as I waited for the pack to break into the corner (thank you cross skills). Ended up finishing somewhere in the top 15 in the Men's field and am really happy with the end result. Unfortunately, while Derrick was off the front he got a flat and pretty much had to walk his bike to the finish. Not really a double great day, but having both of us racing, usually one of having a good result is just as good! Derrick said he really enjoyed seeing me race and wasn't really bummed out at all. That's a huge difference from the Derrick I started dated almost 3 years ago!

NCE

2 comments:

Unknown said...

one tough rider, that's for sure.

Kinda questioning why Derick was left out in the cold looking at his ride near the snow bank as though his ride barfed or something...

Wendy Simms said...

kick ass.