Thursday, October 25, 2007

Nationals Recap

For those of you who didn't see the results yet, Natasha finished up 9th and I finished 12th. A little bad luck in both races, Natasha started off like a bullet, she was 4th going into the first section, she let a girl in and that girl did her no favors by crashing in front of her in the first turn.

I had tenth spot locked up, but I got greedy, tried to catch the guy in ninth and somehow crashed and my bike was hanging upside down from a pine tree! Would have loved to see that on film!


The reason we haven't posted anything since before nationals is a funny little aside. I actually tripped over the computer and broke the A/C cable. In my infinite wisdom I attempted to fix the cable(while still plugged into the wall). Have you ever electrocuted yourself? It's not the best thing to do..pretty scary...but I'm OK, just more shocked than anything.

We managed to finagle the Air Canada guy into letting us bring two bikes for the price of one on the way back. I asked him if it was "two for one bike bag Tuesday" which I guess he though it was very funny. He also gave us the best seats on the plane and gave us a row of three from Calgary to Ottawa.

We were both a little disappointed with the outcome of the race. But that's the way this sport goes, when it's good it's great. When it's bad it seems like it's a waste. But that's the price you pay when you race your bike.

A friend once told me..."It's about the journey, not just the destination". This great tidbit of advice has often came in handy at times when I was a little frustrated or disappointed and holds true for this week as well. A true athlete holds his head high and tries not to make excuses or place blame. I had a lot of excuses why my performance was not what I wanted it to be.
A lot of could have should have would have...but ultimately wasn't didn't couldn't.
Truthfully, it wasn't the desired outcome but oh well.
Last time I felt like this was after the Toor de Toona, I was a little discouraged, but a few weeks later and bounced back to win Aurora so....
Back in Ottawa this week, then to Connecticut.

DSJ

1 comment:

sandyf said...

DSJ, you are my favourite accident waiting to happen. Seriously. Hung your bike from a tree? You are my hero. haha